Friday, November 9, 2012

Be your own hero

I started reading (well, really flipping through) my copy of  "Four Word Self Help" by Patti Digh.  I like her comparison of this "technique" to haiku writing: in both cases, a lot of meaning is conveyed in very few words...


So what am I telling myself with "Be your own hero"?
 
Paraphrasing merriam-webster.com's definitions for the words "hero" and "heroine," these are some of the meanings for this word:
(sidebar: I was surprised that the definitions for these words are not *identical*)
 
1a) a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability1b) an illustrious warrior
1c) a [person] admired for his [or her] achievements and noble qualities
1d) one who shows great courage

2a) the principal character in a literary or dramatic work
2b) the central figure in an event, period, or movement

Let me switch to telling myself to "be my own heroine" in exploring the meaning associated with some of these definitions.

1a) Figure of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability
Telling myself to 'be my own heroine' is a call to remember my divine nature (all humans are divine).  Recognizing, embracing, nurturing, and cherishing this divinity results in a fortitude of spirit for me, and this in turn promotes a sense of safety from which I feel capable to do whatever I may be called to do.  I will always remember the words from my yoga instructor, that "divinity is not 'out there' but rather it is something found inside of us."  I feel my divinity in my heart: it's my connection to Source, and somewhat ironically my ability to sense this connection is directly proportional to how grounded I am in my human body.  In other words: "in-body" experiences strengthen the connection to my divine spirit.
Message to self: "be your own heroine" by increasing your connection to divine spirit via more "in-body" experiences.

1b+d) An illustrious warrior; one who shows great courage
Challenges I encounter tend to be of two types:
- Actions in alignment with my core values are sometimes unpopular or difficult to carry out
- Helping others sometimes depletes my inner resources
To 'be my own heroine' I must have the courage to be genuine and take actions that are aligned to my core values, and I must do so responsibly to ensure I don't burn out prematurely.  I am to have a long life of meeting challenges head on and successfully overcoming those challenges: it's not sufficient to have the courage, I must also produce results.


2a) The principal character
**I matter.**
My role in this time and place is to serve Earth and humanity as a bridge and a filter (see Why am I not extraordinary?), and this includes a responsibility to myself to experience all aspects of this journey.  All the work I am doing will be balanced by restorative play time.

So, these are some of the meanings behind the message to myself to "by my own heroine."

Peace and Love,
Serenity Joy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment - I look forward to reading your feedback.
Peace and Love...
Serenity Joy